Friday 4 May 2007

QuickTime content not displaying in Safari

Recently, after an OS update, I found that QuickTime content wasn't displaying properly in Safari. Instead of the media content, all I was getting was a pale, faded out broken QuickTime icon. Anyway, too busy to look into it properly I soldiered on using Shiira. However, I soon got fed up with the problem and started looking into it. As Safari and Quicktime worked OK on another account on my machine, I had a look at the home/library/preferences folder for quicktime and safari preferences. Once I'd deleteed the following and restarted Safari, all was well:

com.apple.Safari.plist
com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
QuickTime Preferences
com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist

6 comments:

Ted James said...

Perfect - Thanks.

marslizard said...

I'm having a variation of this problem. I have 2 macs one using QT 7.1.6 and the other using QT 7.2 When using Safari 2.0.4 they both display a streaming Quicktime movie perfectly. However, no controller is displayed. The controller parameter is set to true. The controller is visible in Firefox. Any ideas how I can resolve this issue?

The mac guy said...

Hi marslizard,

sorry, but I can't think what would be causing the problem you describe. It might help if I knew which streaming video you're referring to. Have you tried downloading the Safari 3 beta?

Kev

Anonymous said...

it does not work
I've not found those files in home but in my user's
Have deleted, restarted safari - the same problem.

maybe logout is needed or smth?

Anonymous said...

This worked for me on the Safari beta. Go to HD, Library, Internet plugins, drag Quicktime plugin.webplugin to trash
-juan

The mac guy said...

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

Kev.