Thursday 31 May 2007

New Triumph Bonneville test ride

Hello,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts about my test ride yesterday on the new Triumph Bonnie. I've been daydreaming about one of these for weeks now, and had to check one out (many thanks to Three Cross Motorcycles in Wimborne).

First impressions were : "Wow, that's beautiful! I want it!" When I was out on the road, I wasn't disappointed, it lived up to my expectations: it was comfortable to ride, powerful enough to pull out at 60 and overtake a couple of cars (up to 80 in no time), got lots of attention from car drivers and handled beautifully.

The demonstrator I rode had quite a high seat, and I felt a little 'on top' of the bike. However, when back at the shop I sat on another one with a slightly lower seat, and that felt much better, much more like I was 'in' the bike than perched on top.

Overall, the build quality of the Bonnie was fantastic, lots of chrome and thick paint and, apart from the switchgear, not too much plastic. However, it's with the latter that I have 'issues'. The switchgear looks really plasticky and cheap, and with bike gloves on, felt fragile and imprecise. I'd left the indicators on a couple of times, even though I was sure I'd cancelled them.

When idling, the sound of the Bonnie was pure retro Bonnie, expecially with the extra loud pipes fitted, but when moving there's just a quiet whirring sound, and the occasional backfire when you drop the throttle. And no vibration at all!

I'm still really interested in one of these, but the Black SE model I want isn't available anymore. Apparently, Triumph is bringing out a new model later this year, with fuel injection rather than carbs (the fuel injection system fitted inside fake carb bodies!). I'll have to wait until the new model comes out and decide then whether or not I still want one.

In the meantime, at least I still have the trusty VT500!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right then,
well i currently ride a bmw r1150r with every accessory and comfort goin, a superb bike but on the heavy side, got to say though its a bit of a Rolls Royce..
I have always dreamed of havin a Bonnie have tst ridden em numerous times recently.
Pure magic.. although finishing touches are still lacking, I mean a polished engine case and a bare metal clutch housing...where the cable is attached, wots that about?
Any way suprise, suprise..?
I have just ordered a new one from cob and jagger west yorks, along with proper pipes a centre stand a clutch lever lifter cover to cover some of that shitty mess where the cable attaches by the engine on a piece of metal that looks like some kid made it in mettle work class at school, and i think a king and queen seat may be the next on the list to replace the plank of a seat, i wish i could order a 6th gear as well but im sure ill get used to it..
once these things are fitted i think ill be happy.
Dont know whats wrong with the british mentality really, every thing is extra, go to the fish shop and you have to pay xtra for a sachet of tomato sauce,extre for a tray to eat em from, go abroad and its included cos thats what makes the meal...
same with the bike innit, if your going to make a product supply all the parts to make it right in the fist place...
Despite all that im gettin a T100 Bonnie, cos thats what i want...
(wish it was shaft drive or belt) then it would be maintainance free and the best bike in the world again as far as im concrned.
Im a bit nervous havin spent all that cash and extras on top..
i hope it lives up to expectations...
Anyway ive had loads of bikes and still going to keep the bmw for now.
I actually like the bonnie so much its my first ever new bike...
If i had a never ending supply of cash and i could have any bike i wanted it would still be a T100 bonni..